Bob Dylan Is Releasing Another Volume of His Bootleg Series
The 'Springtime in New York' box set spans 1980 to 1985
Published Jul 21, 2021Bob Dylan has announced the 16th instalment in his longstanding Bootleg Series — Springtime in New York will be available September 17 through Third Man Records' Vault Subscription (in conjunction with Sony/Legacy).
Focusing on the sessions for Shot of Love, Infidels and Empire Burlesque, the four-disc LP set features 42 previously unreleased mixes, outtakes, live performances and more from the years 1980 through 1985.
Apparently, there's another forthcoming 2-LP version from Sony/Legacy (as well as both it and the box set in CD form), but no overlapping material appears between the two.
Dylan has an abundance of recordings from the richly creative five-year period of the early '80s — when some say he lost his way, but was more likely just finding it, actually. The ephemera of the era captures the provocative new directions he was evolving in as a musician and songwriter, pulling back the curtain on a crucial moment in the legend's career.
In the 16-page booklet of liner notes, Scottish cultural critic and novelist Damien Love writes:
And that's the real story of this gloriously untrammelled collection: the songs. The songs stripped free of trappings, tampering, passing tastes and judgments. The songs broken down to the sound of people really doing this right now; acting on instinct. The songs rough and rowdy, bruised and tender, joking and crying, nagging and striving and yearning. The songs were always there — and here they are still, keeping pace with us.
Well, it certainly sounds perfectly poetic and Dylan-esque.
Springtime in New York follows 2019's 15th volume of the Bootleg Series, Travelin' Thru — which unearths a session between Dylan and Johnny Cash.
Watch the trailer for Bob Dylan - Springtime in New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 1980-1985 and check out the tracklisting below.
Bob Dylan - Springtime in New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 (1980-1985):
1. Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) [Rehearsal]
2. Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (Rehearsal)
3. Mary of the Wild Moor (Rehearsal)
4. A Couple More Years (Rehearsal)
5. This Night Won't Last Forever (Rehearsal)
6. Mystery Train (Outtake)
7. We Just Disagree (Rehearsal)
8. Let's Keep It Between Us (Rehearsal)
9. Fever (Rehearsal)
10. Abraham, Martin and John (Rehearsal)
11. Angelina (Outtake)
1. Price of Love (Outtake)
2. I Wish It Would Rain (Outtake)
3. Let It Be Me (International 7" Single B-side)*
4. Don't Ever Take Yourself Away (Outtake)*
5. Cold, Cold Heart (Outtake)
6. Is It Worth It? (Outtake)
7. Borrowed Time (Outtake)
8. Yes Sir, No Sir (Outtake)
9. This Was My Love (Outtake)
10. Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight [Version 2] (Alternate Take)
11. Neighborhood Bully (Alternate Take)
1. Too Late [Acoustic Version] (Outtake)
2. Clean Cut Kid (Outtake)
3. Baby What You Want Me to Do (Outtake)
4. Foot of Pride (Outtake)
5. I and I (Outtake)
6. Green, Green Grass of Home (Outtake)
7. Union Sundown (Alternate Take)
8. Lord Protect My Child (Outtake)
9. Tell Me (Outtake)
1. Enough is Enough [Live from Slane Castle, Ireland]
2. License to Kill [Live from Late Night with David Letterman on March 22, 1984]
3. Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground (Outtake)
4. Julius and Ethel (Outtake)
5. I'll Remember You (Alternate Take)
6. When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [Slow Version] (Alternate Take)
7. Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) [Alternate Mix]
8. Emotionally Yours (Alternate Take)
9. Clean Cut Kid (Alternate Take)
10. Straight A's in Love (Outtake)
11. When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [Fast Version] (Alternate Take)
All tracks previously unreleased except *
Pre-order Bob Dylan - Springtime in New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 (1980-1985).